Activity 1

Activity 1

de Giovanna Gabriela Da Rosa Suarez -
Número de respuestas: 0

Dear all,

My name is Gabriela da Rosa Suárez. I graduated as a primary and secondary school teacher. I completed two specializations: one related to virtual learning environments and another one on education technology. I have a Master's degree in Technology and Society. I am now working on teacher training courses at CFE.

Throughout my learning experience, I have attended many online courses, which provided me with certain learning experiences in technology enhanced learning environments (Moodle, Schoology, MOOCs). However, after reading the materials provided in this course, I could realize that the use of the different digital tools I was exposed to was very basic.

For that reason, I expect this course to provide me with theories and tools about smart learning environments in order to scaffold into smart pedagogy. I expect to acquire knowledge that allows me to improve the way I teach and help my students, who are future teachers, to integrate new methodologies based on smart pedagogy to their practice with their own students.

As a teacher, I believe it is extremely important to learn about smart learning environments because:

• In nowadays society, it is necessary to reduce the gap between students' real world and the way educators teach.
  • Technology enhanced learning environments are in continuous changing process, for it is necessary to be updated in order to maximize students' learning opportunities.
  • The development of SLE may support students to become smart, motivated learners who know how to construct their knowledge. The success of the integration of digital technologies to education depends on the methodological changes. In this case, student-centered activities can be potentiated with digital technologies.
  •  It is essential to prepare the teachers to perform in learning environments that promote the construction of knowledge.
  • SLE may support educators with new ways of teaching, evaluating and carrying out predictive analyses of the learning and teaching processes.

If I reflect on the characteristics of the best learning experiences I had, I could say they:

•  were related to my personal interests,
  •  had to do with authentic and real world situations,
  •  were well contextualized
  •  were related to problem-solving situations in which I had to integrate different knowledge areas to search for solutions

All these characteristics above can be applied to the processes of teaching and learning in smart environments. Therefore, smart technologies, smart pedagogies and smart contents can facilitate students' progress from low level skills to higher levels of thinking in terms of digital competencies and human competencies. Thus, understanding smart pedagogy is vital for transforming the educational environment in order to adapt it to the demands of our society as a whole.

The integration of digital technologies provides wide opportunities of learning experiences for learners. However, there are certain challenges for teachers when innovating with digital technologies:

• the amount of time required for creating new materials,
  • the lack of competences in terms of the use of technologies,
  • the resistance to change methodologies and leave the comfort zone.

In order to overcome those challenges, there are certain possibilities:

• develop competencies related to the use of digital technologies,
  • promote teacher training courses that integrate smart pedagogy,
  • provide ideas of different methodologies associated to SLE,
  • have institutional support that provides the technological and human resources that are necessary to develop those new methodologies,
  • create communities of practice that allow teachers to reflect and share experiences with smart learning environments.

However, we need to be aware that technology itself is not going solve all educational problems, but it can be a tool for enhancing instructional processes.

In touch,

Gabriela